Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, degenerative disease of the nervous system. There is no cure for MS, and treatments are limited. However, cannabis has shown promise of being effective in treating the symptoms of MS, and it is a safe and well-tolerated treatment option. In this article, we’ll explore the evidence for using cannabis to treat MS and how it can benefit patients.
What is multiple sclerosis?
Multiple sclerosis, often abbreviated as MS, is a chronic inflammatory disease. It’s characterized by demyelination in the central nervous system, leading to a wide range of symptoms affecting the quality of life of those who suffer from it.
Some of the common symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis are:
- Pain in the back or eyes
- Back pain due to nodding or eye movement
- Tremor in limbs during precision movements
- Muscle cramping, muscular paralysis, muscle rigidity, weakness, stiffness, difficulty in walking, changes in gait, involuntary movements,
- Fatigue, dizziness, vertigo, declining body balance, intolerance to heat
- Excessive urination at night, urine leakage, persistent urge to urinate, or urinary retention
- Pinning and needling touch sensation, uncomfortable tingling and burning sensation, abnormality of taste
- Blurred vision, loss of vision and double vision, or vision loss
- Anxiety, persistent depression and mood swings
- Slurred speech
- Sexual dysfunction
- Difficulty swallowing, thinking and perceiving
Many of these symptoms are associated with aging and various other diseases. So, people often fail to recognise and take timely action. Although the exact cause of MS is unknown, it is thought to be caused by an autoimmune reaction in which the immune system attacks parts of the central nervous system that are essential to our everyday functioning. There are currently no cures for MS, although there are several treatments available to manage symptoms and improve quality of life, as well as prevent the condition from worsening.
How does cannabis help to treat MS?
While the exact mechanism by which cannabis (cannabinoids) helps patients with MS is not precisely understood by medical researchers and scientists till date; however, there is strong evidence that cannabinoids likde CBD & THC can assist with symptoms and contain the progression of diseases. Cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation associated with MS. Besides, naturally occurring cannabinoids in CBD oil extracts modulate our nerve signalling function of our Central Nervous System without causing any psychotropic influences. Cannabinoids in cannabis plant extracts have shown to improve the quality of life of multiple sclerosis patients, and slow down the progression of the disease.
Some studies conducted by influential groups of North American group of researchers have shown that CBD & THC Along with other cannabinoids can improve the following MS symptoms: –
- Pain – This is one of the most common symptoms associated with MS. Patients are often prescribed opioid-based painkillers, which can cause dependence and can be fatal when overdosed. Proper doses of full spectrum CBD oil containing Cannabidiol, CBG, THCA and other active pharmacological compounds can give patients relief from MS-induced muscle and body pain.
- Muscle stiffness and spasm – CBD (cannabidiols) reduces tightness and help to gain control over involuntary muscle movements.
- Sleeplessness and fatigue – This is one of the most disabling symptoms of MS along with issues of difficulty in swallowing. It can include the feeling of something being caught in the throat, problems with chewing and swallowing food, nausea, and vomiting. Full spectrum cannabidiol (CBD extract) can help overcome these symptoms.
What are the benefits of using cannabis to treat MS?
The benefits of using cannabis or CBD Oil to treat MS include the following:
- It has natural anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce inflammation associated with MS. Patients do not need to depend on steroids based medicines.
- Neuroprotective properties of CBD help to slow down the progression of the disease.
- It has been proved to be effective, safe and not habit-forming.
Are there any risks associated with using cannabis (CBD oil) to treat MS?
While the evidence suggests that cannabis (and cannabidiols) is an effective treatment for patients with MS, it is essential to note the following risks:
- Administration of CBD in proper doses – CBD oil or raw CBD extracts are highly potent pharmacological compounds. Though it does not show any harmful side effects, we advise patients to consult doctors/medical professionals before they start taking cannabinoid-based medicines.
- Quality of CBD oil, extracts and other CBD-based healthcare products – In India, it may not be easy to purchase CBD products as the availability of quality products is still significantly limited. While ordering your CBD oil, CBD raw extracts and other CBD-based products, always choose companies offering 3rd party lab-tested, ethically sourced, organic CBD.
Section 6: Conclusion
MS is a debilitating disease that can significantly affect a patient’s quality of life. Cannabis (full-spectrum cannabidiol oil) is an effective and safe treatment for patients with MS. CannaBlithe is a reputed name in the industry with legally-approved CBD extracts and other CBD-based product dispensing systems in place. We strongly advise customer consulting doctors before beginning their CBD-based treatment regime. We also have a panel of reputed medical professionals who can advise patients on CBD-based treatment of illnesses and diseases and prescribe proper dosage information. Anyone with a valid prescription can order online our 100% organic, ayurveda-compliant, 3rd party lab-tested CBD products.